Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Out on the Back Porch

It was a pretty nice day today...not 'too' hot...so I decided to have lunch out on the back deck and get some sun and do some reading......I've noticed this cute little bird hanging around a lot lately...she stopped by today...even got pretty close to me..I don't think she realized I was there. I wasn't quick enough to get a picture. She kept coming back though.....then I remembered that CDR had said something about a Bird's Nest in one of my old planters that is still hanging by the door. He was going to move it to another location but I asked him not to. I glanced up today and noticed some straw peeking over the edge so I decided to investigate...Sure enough there was nest and three cute little babies inside....

Here's a little tour of the rest of the backyard....

I call this the Orchard, we have a couple of Apple Trees, a Pear Tree( that appears to be dying), a Peach Tree, and Plum tree(I think?) We've had most of these trees for quite a few years, a couple even came with the property when we bought. So far we haven't had much success. We got a good batch of Apples one year(years ago) and Pears a couple of years ago...but that's it..the peaches have never made it, nor have the plums....the peaches never get very big and the bugs get to them before they get a chance...the Plums almost look like they 'might' make it this year...but who knows.....




This is the Plum tree..at least I think it's plums..I could swear we bought a plum tree.....and they kinda look like plums ...they also look like maybe apricots or nectarines...but I'm pretty sure we never bought either of those......






These are the Peaches, they are still pretty small...they look good so far but the birds and bugs will probably get to them before they can be harvested.and Apples, these are also still pretty small...and the bugs already seem to be getting to them....


A view of our house from the side....I'm standing in the 'Orchard"....Hibiscus and Tiger Lilies

2 comments:

Laura said...

What a lovely orchard you have - and yes, I believe those are plums growing there. My sister had a plum tree in her backyard, and they were so yummy!

I would love to have some fruit trees - we have the room in our yard, but we'd have to cut down some other trees to make room. And I like the shade the current trees provide - what a quandry! Two of our current trees are small pecan trees, so at least there is SOMETHING edible out there, lol!

And what precious little birds - how delightful! My dad always let the birds make nests on our porch when I was growing up, even though a mess went along with it - he just enjoyed having the babies hatch where he could see them. Guess I inherited his love of nature...

Apple Joos said...

Thank you for stopping by! I'm not surprised the car is having issues. It's been acting up for a while but my husband has been dragging his heels. Finally, I told him he was going to need a ride to work today so I could get the car fixed and then what happens? The garage is full and we have to wait until tomorrow. Thankfully, he took half a day so he'll be able to take care of it now.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...