Saturday, December 22, 2007

From Russia with Love....




Got another Surprise package yesterday!!








I'm not sure if I ever blogged about the Young Russian girl we took in a few years ago? Her name was Olga....and she had come over to the states on some kind of Work Exchange program? Basically they are brought over and provided with a job and supposedly a place to stay.... this girl was told she'd be working in Customer Servie for a Major Corporation( aka...cashier at Burger King in a Podunk NC town) her and three other girls were given a room in a supposed 'Bed and Breakfast" but it was more like just renting a bedroom in a house....they were then taken in by a co-worker at the Burger King and offered a room for a small fee( which was a no-no..since the co-worker lived in Military Housing and that is not allowed in Military Housing) Eventually two of the girls decided to go to Atlanta as Southern Chesapeake was not their idea of Hip , Happening American life...then the third girl arranged to go home a month early....the last girl was then told by the co-worker ( on a Wednesday) that she could no longer stay there and needed to be out by Friday! Yikes! ...in the meantime My son Nate had Befriended these girls early on on their stay....and so he came to us and asked if she could come stay with us......it was the best decision we ever made..and I wish I had known of her situation earlier as I'd have invited her to stay then and not ever charged her....having her here for that one Month was a great experience for us all and we grew to love her as one of our own in the short month that she was with us...her excitement at being in America and learning American customs was endearing...we treated her as one fo the family...a valued guest..and she was surprised at that..( I guess the other family didn't treat her well) Most evenings after she came home from work we would make tea and we would sit at the kitchen table and just talk for hours..she would tell me about her life in Russia and ask me tons of questions about American culture...Anyway ...we have kept in touch spordically thru the last few years since she went back home...she even called back in April...when she heard of the Va Tech shootings...as she knew one of my daughters attended there....it was soo good to talk to her...and she was soooo excited to be talking to me...it was cute...LOL......





soooo yesterday a package came out of the blue from Russia....oh how exciting...you had to be here....I nearly did somersaults...LOL....my girls thought I was NUTS...LOL...I think it's the most exciting gift of the year!! so here's is all she sent....







These are small little leather boxes ...they had jewelry in them....necklaces and earings....I kept one set for myself and let the girls each have the other set...one took the earings and the other the necklace...







These are Russian Cigarettes....she sent them for Nate who used to smoke....he recently quit...Halleluia!! I hope this doesn't tempt him to start again...he took a few packages with him last night to 'give' to friends...they are kinda cool looking though....with the Russian packaging and all....





















The 'water" bottle as she called it....is for Brad....I think this will go well with all of his Navy memorabilia.....LOL







And Most importantly Authentic Russian Vodka......last time she tried to send us some it didn't quite make it....LOL....I guess it slipped thru customs this time..LOL



also seen in the picture above..are two colorful boxes filled with Russian Chocolates and Candies....a set of Postcards showing Russian landmarks...a package of Russian playing cards...the Jewelry that came in the cute leather boxes...two little adress booklets....and a really pretty Shawl... because although I live in a 'southern state" it is raining sometimes and a shawl is necessary :)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...